Thursday, August 19, 2010

At the end of the road.....



Last Thursday morning I was throwing frisbees with Hadsome and Rute. I was singing a very animated version of head, shoulders, knees and toes with crowds of kids outside the World Vision Kanchindu office. I was receiving gifts of baobab fruit and a clay pot. Joyous memories I will treasure.




 
Baobab Tree 
Baobab fruit
 
And then the afternoon....something completely different. We were invited to the homes of two OVC (orphans and vulnerable children) families. I could tell you facts about these families. I could tell you about the fabulous World Vision caregivers, who are community volunteers. I could tell you about the progression of HIV/AIDS. I could tell you about the impact of water on all of this. But instead I will tell you this....



The women are both widows who live with HIV/AIDS. Some of their children do too. Cristobel is younger than I am and her skin bears the marks of cancer. So does her son. His prognosis is not good. Julia suffers from eye cancer that has no medical solution. Her house was washed out in the floods of the last rainy season. The are both responsible for multiple children and even grandchildren. These women carry unspeakable grief.



Still, they sat with us. And graciously told their stories. At the end of it all....there was nothing we could do, but sit in the mystery. We couldn't fix the pain. We couldn't make it go away. In fact, we were the ones who had to go away.



Yet, in that place, God was absolutely among us and within us. I will carry those women, their families, their caregivers, and the many they represent in my heart and in my prayers. It was a profoundly moving experience. 



Cristobel, Julia, and their caregivers gave me a gift that day. They brought me to the feet of God.



At the end of the road......God IS.




No comments:

Post a Comment