Sunday, August 15, 2010

What I'll tell you

As my flight yesterday from Lusaka to Jo'Burg bumped a bit through the elevation climb on the way to cruising altitude I had a brief, odd disorientation. My time in Zambia was marked by hours and hours of bouncing around in the back of land cruisers as the excellent World Vision drivers navigated impossible roads to take us to water points and homes of sponsored children. So as the plane ever so slightly bounced me up and out of Lusaka, thereby marking the end of this long anticipated journey, I found my mind flashing back to many images and emotions of the week.



In about 9 flying hours and a couple layover hours I'll be home. And what will I say when you ask about my trip?



I will tell you that at the end of the nearly impassable road, at the end of the frustrating drilling experience, at the end of human life.....I have been ushered into the presence of God. I can backfill this with story, but I've also got a slideshow crashing together in my head so I'll let it be for now.



If you want more....I will tell you that I believe God is absolutely in the details. I will tell you that I believe prayer matters. I will tell you that it is a privilege to partner with World Vision staff. I will tell you that I have seen water as a gateway to life, health, and productivity. I will tell you that I saw beautiful gardens rising out of a dry and dusty land. I will tell you that the Zambian villagers are beautiful, gracious, generous people. I will tell you that traveling with my WaterAfrica team was a gift.



I will tell you that my happiest moments of the trip were at the homes of Ha(n)dsome and Rute. For years we have carried these children in our hearts and prayers. Time stopped that afternoon. We threw frisbees, jumped rope, and laughed. Cutting through language, culture, and many miles, we were together in those moments. And the journey was worth it.



Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. So excellent! I hope you have many quiet moments in the days and weeks to come to fully soak in the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth! Thank you so much for your part in getting me to and through this journey. I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So touching and beautifully written. Excited to watch what unfolds for you.

    ReplyDelete