Saturday, August 21, 2010

Lions, Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My! (well, maybe not bears)

My poor boys. They are walking encyclopedias when it comes to animal facts. They know all about the African Big Five. 

You can imagine that their mother was a tremendous disappointment when she returned from the land of their dreams only to report on chickens, goats, cows and pigs. And a spider or two. 

I did get some credit for bringing home this picture of a tiger snake. Keith, the proprietor of the Lake View Lodge, where we were staying was busy identifying it one evening when we got home. He said that it struck his arm and latched on.  When he finished his research he tossed it back out in the bushes.


IMG_1932 

And there were monkeys around the Sinazongwe ADP office. I never saw any, but don't tell my boys. Thanks to my teammates, I have a few pictures. (or maybe they were just on their cameras from a recent zoo trip)


DSC00315 

So, where were the animals of Africa? This article in wikipedia outlines a variety of the themes I heard while I was there.

When we arrived in Lusaka we stayed at the Southern Sun Hotel. The pond at the center of the hotel had crocodiles from a croc farm. When they got to a certain age they were returned to the farm and replaced with babies. 


DSC00093 

 
In terms of Croc reality, however, while we were staying at Lake View Lodge along Lake Kariba, we were strictly warned to stay away from the water.Lake kariba
 
The crocs in the water were a very real and deadly threat. 

Speaking of Lake Kariba, commercial fishing is profitable and this was a common sight:


DSC00388 

Though this particular picture is the precursor to an unfortunate mooring that stranded the fisherman one morning. Apparently August is one of the Lake's windy months. Dramatic winds came up in the evening and blew fiercely through the night. The waves pounded on the shore, not unlike the Oregon coast. The locals told us that despite all appearances, it would NOT rain. And it never did.

The Kapenta of Lake Kariba.....


IMG_1862 

We took packages like this to the families of our sponsored children.

And I think I've used up all my interesting animal stories now. Mostly we saw cows and chickens and goats. 


DSC00350  

Wait! My boys immediately recognized this common sight......DSC00139 

Do you?

 
 
 



1 comment: